Back from Heidelberg…

I’ve been busily updating my travel blog with the story of our quick trip. I always like to write travel posts soon after I get home, so I don’t forget too many details. We had a great little break. It reminded us that we need a longer one… perhaps out in the country in a beautiful self-catering house near a beach… or in the mountain near a lake. I’m flexible.

My birthday was great! We spent lots of money and ate so much good food… and drank a lot of wine and other alcoholic treats. Sadly, we had a bit of a mishap last night. As Arran was cozying up to Bill, having a reunion bonding session, I noticed blood on his coat. At first, I wondered if he got hurt at the boarding facility, which would have been a huge bummer. But then I realized I have a video of him right before we picked him up and he was fine. Then I looked at the wound and realized it was really fresh. I think Arran ran under one of the bushes in the backyard and cut himself. It wouldn’t be the first time he’s done that. He did it a few months ago on his right shoulder.

I realized the cut was pretty deep, although it wasn’t bleeding much. Bill ended up taking him to the emergency clinic. They had to wait many hours before they could be seen because last night was very busy. Bill got there at about 9:30pm and wasn’t home until 4:30am. Arran got debridement, five stitches, antibiotics, and painkillers. The bill was 825 euros. He doesn’t seem to be any worse for wear, other than the shaved part of his left neck near his shoulder. He’s been napping today and was happy to take a walk a little while ago.

Noyzi did very well at the boarding facility. I think the lady who watched him fell in love. I can understand why. He’s very handsome and sweet. So now that we know he’ll do alright at the boarding house, maybe we can travel more and my mood will improve. I like having things to write about that don’t involve complaints or politics. I just wish our local Internet was better. When I try to upload batches of photos, my Internet crashes.

I haven’t had too much time to read the news, so I can’t think of anything newsworthy to write about right now. Actually, I feel like I need a nap after last night’s drama. I can only imagine how exhausted Bill must be. He is a day person who doesn’t sleep well in the best of circumstances. I’ll bet he’ll be dead on his feet tonight.

Anyway… my birthday was great. 49 is not too bad so far. Bonus… Aunt Flow didn’t bother me while we were enjoying our trip. My sister sent me a birthday e-card starring Donny Osmond. How could it get any better, ignoring Arran’s veterinary mishap, anyway?

Maybe tomorrow, it’ll be back to business as usual.


5 thoughts on “Back from Heidelberg…

  1. That’s so unfortunate about Arran. Poor baby!

    I’ve been at my aunt’s and uncle’s home because of two showers for my cousin’s fiancee. he lives considerable north of here, but his fiancee lives in my aunt’s town. my mom is here but is sleeping in a hotel. Her dog, Cardinal Gibbons, is here at the house with us because it’s much easier.

    I took Cardinal Gibbons to a local dog park this morning. He gets better exercise at the dog park because he’s part whippet and needs full-speed running but can’t really get up to full speed in my aunt’s yard because, even though it’s moderately large, there are too many obstacles. He also runs best with other dogs.

    I read the posted rules on the sign at the entrance, then took The Cardinal’s leash off as the sign directed. The rules on the sign specified, among other things, that dogs were not to be leashed inside the park unless it was necessary to get them away and out of the park. It also said that aggressive dogs weren’t allowed under any circumstances and that if a dog were to unexpectedly become aggressive, the owner was to take it out immediately.

    I was told that any time before 10:30 a.m., there are usually several dogs, but only two were there when we showed up at around 8:30. One of the dogs was a tiny terrier. One part of the park is fenced off for just dogs under twenty-five pounds Cardinal Gibbons is legal on that side, as his range has stayed consistently between nineteen and twenty-one pounds since he recovered from his near-starvation episode when he was on the streets, but he prefers running with the bigger dogs. If there’s a little dog on the big dog side, he usually thinks it’s his duty to stay between the small dog and any bigger dogs who are present. The other dog at the park was a German shepherd on a leash who was probably more than fifty yards away.

    Cardinal Gibbons and the little dog sniffed each other, but then somewhat ignored each other as they sniffed around the park. Then the little dog trotted in the direction of the lady holding the German shepherd’s leash. she stated hollering out, “Get your dog! Get your dog! Get your dog!” in a voice that was almost robotic, as though she’d been through the situation many times. The terrier’s owner ran after him, but the dog had a considerable head start.

    I was already heading toward Cardinal Gibbons because I knew he would go that way if he heard sounds of aggression. I was too late. The shepherd started going apeshit over the little dog. The lady held onto the leash but the dog was pulling her everywhere. I’m not slow, but I cannot outrun a dog who is part whippet even on a good day and in running shoes on a surface with no holes dug by dogs. Cardinal Gibbons immediately ran right into the middle of it. (He’s not yet well-trained at all. My parents haven’t done a good job in that regard. He’s 100% potty trained [came that way, fortunately] and he won’t bite, but that’s the extent of his obedience.)

    The lady’s dog continued to jump, pull, and lunge at both of the smaller dogs. I finally got a hand on Cardinal Gibbons’ collar and got him out of there.

    Afterward, I walked with Cardinal Gibbons on the outside of the fence to ask the terrier’s owner if he knew what the hell the lady was doing with that dog inside the dog park. He said she told him it was a rescue and she was trying to socialize it. I’m all for giving dogs a chance, but other dogs are allowed to roam free at the dog park, and if a dog cannot even stand being approached by another dog, he doesn’t belong there. There was nothing to do but to leave. That dog was probably the reason no other dogs were there this morning.

    • Ugh… Dog parks are great for dogs who can behave. Not so great for those who can’t. We had a beagle who used to upset everyone by trying to hump. That’s totally normal dog behavior, but people don’t like to see it.

      I’d like to take Noyzi to a dog park so he can run, but I worry about him getting sick. People aren’t always good about picking up after their dogs, either.

      Arran is doing fine. The gash seems to be a bit itchy now, but he’s pretty much the same as usual. Demonstrative, snuggly, and kinda needy.

  2. I’ve noticed that the dogs hump a lot. (We did the dog park Friday and Saturday.) Even the female huskies hump. They all seem to like humping but not to like being humped and the dogs, if they’re normal and non-aggressive, can usually work it out just fine between themselves without getting overly upset about it.

    • Yeah, they’re establishing who’s the boss. Flea was a very alpha dog, despite being small. He wanted to be the star. And he was kind of a star. I miss him.

Comments are closed.